Friday, July 1, 2011

United...

When I started out in photography...it was a big old world.
There was so much to learn.
Exposure, compensation, metering, composition, camera bodies, lenses, and shooting in manual.
 There were also plenty of new words too.
Aperture, 'iso', shutter speed, bokeh. 

Who knew that photography was so technical? 
There were also numbers involved. I know. Crazy, right?
Fractions no less. 
Have I told you I suck at math?!

 All of a sudden it wasn't a 'hobby' any more.
Although I loved it, it was work. 

That was just the tip of the iceberg too.
There was still Photoshop, re-sizing, cropping, editing, researching labs and calibrating computers.

I read, I studied, I took classes, and workshops. 
It was beyond daunting.
Once I was able to get past the technical part, there was still the business side to learn.
Logo's, branding, marketing, web-sites, Blogger, Facebook, Twitter, Google Analytics, taxes, and income/expenses.

While I would read until 3 am every morning (and still do) to get to where I needed to be,
I believe I couldn't have gotten to where I'am without some wonderful help
from some really fabulous people.

I was lucky enough to have a few mentors that held my hand and walked me through a tremendous amount of questions
I have asked through the years.
I'm so grateful for their knowledge, kindness and above all else their friendship.

If you are looking to get into a new field, find someone to mentor you.
It's so important.
Not only for the wisdom and experience, but for the ability to relate to someone about something you're passionate about.

Recently I joined a local Long Island group with over 100 professional photographers.
The name of the group...'FEO'.
'For Each Other'.

We are not competition.
We do not judge because we have all walked a mile in the other persons shoes.
We grow faster, stronger and smarter when we surround ourselves with like minded people I think.

You know that saying, 'it takes a village to raise a child'?
I think that's true in all aspects of life.
We're better together.
United.

It's nice to know that you're not going through 'it' alone.
Whatever that 'it' may be.
Whether it's photography, Weight Watcher's,
AAA, or a mother's group, it's a good feeling to know that there is someone
in the world in the same situation as you.

***

The good people of Berger Brothers recently hosted a Wescott Lighting Workshop at the American Airpower Museum in Farmingdale. We had the privilege to work with some fabulous lighting gurus, and had access to get up close and personal with the aircraft, and some fab 1940's pin up girls.





There is something powerful about being united.
There is a strong kinship. A likeness. A community. 
I find that communities are full of unlimited resources.
The people, places, and things that you need are all at your fingertips.

 Coming upon this fourth of July weekend, I think I'll end with a quote from John Dickinson,
which sums up today's theme...

 'Then join hand in hand, brave Americans all!
By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall.'

***
While celebrating Independence Day this weekend, I think it's important to remember that we became independent by being united.

Have a Happy 4th!



                                                        

No comments: