Saturday, November 6, 2010

The "C" Family - Lifestyle Session - The Paradox


The morning air was cool and crisp and the smell of wood burning in the bellies of stoves permeating the air. Fog and mist hung heavy near the ground, as I drove to their home early Wed. morning for our session. 

Autumn was indeed in full swing. 

When I walked into the Connolly home I was greeted by three beautiful, blond haired, blue eyed children. 
Their ages?
1, 2 and 3. 
Yes...you heard me right. 

As I said hello, they smiled up at me and I thought to myself --smiles without coaxing...awesome! 
Then within seconds, they took off in different directions. 
They were on the 'go' from that moment on.

Mom, was laid back, calm, playful and real. 
I liked her immediately. 

We bonded over having kids so close in age and talked about when people approach her and say 
'don't you have heat at home', when she is out with all of the kids. 

She said it took her a while to 'get' it (the comment) and when she told me it, it took me a minute as well. 
(Just wondering how quick you folks are? : )

After the session while going through the images, I was struck by the ones I was drawn to. 
I was leaning toward all of the 'out-takes' or what I call the 'in between' moments. 
The imperfect moments looked...well, perfect to me.  

I know nothing is ever perfect, but sometimes I think we can find that 'perfect' in the most ordinary of moments. 

If we really 'see' them for what they are, I'm sure you will agree with me, they are quite extrodinary. 

Maybe we don't even need to look that hard for them. 
Maybe that perfection is in the things we observe on a normal basis. 
That 'in between', that really makes up life and what we'll long to remember. 

Milestones, perfect outfits and poses all help to document life. 
But that 'real' life as it's happening? 
To me that's magical. 

It may not be the perfect picture. The perfect expression or the perfect pose. 
But when you see it, you'll feel it

You'll recall the laughter and possibly hear it yet again. 
Smell the fresh cut grass or autumn leaves, and see the happiness in everyones eyes or in their movements and re-live it once again. 

It's all passing us by. 
That 'real' stuff. 

The 'ordinary' that we all think we'll remember or may not think it is important to remember. 

I don't know about you, but I want to know what kind of personalities my children had when I look back at my pictures years from now. I want to see those silly expressions, their pouts in all of their glory, and the way they interacted with one another, with nature, with life, and most important, with me.  
  
Hope you don't mind that I'm changing it up a bit tonight.
 I was just touched by the 'lifestyle' mood these images provoked. 
It captured real life as it was happening...
I'm so thankful for being able to 'see' these little moments for all that they are.
Perfect.

Who doesn't love an impromptu hug?


Nothing like having a large pile of leaves to jump in... 


or play in...
Doesn't Brody have the most perfect profile?



This next image is one of my faves. 
Mom threw caution to the wind and jumped right in the pile of leaves with her dumplings. 
She was in the moment...not just watching it pass her by.  


As some of you know, I love head shots. So, I just had to throw a few in.
I know sometimes we get caught up with getting the smiles, but I think the serious expressions are just as cute.  
Meet Ms. Emily.
What a face, huh?


All three of these kids remind me of that song by the Carpenters, 'Close to you'.
"On the day that you were born, the angels got together and decided to create a dream come true. 
So they sprinkled moon dust in your hair of gold, an starlight in your eyes of blue..." 


Okay Mom, I know you didn't want to be in any pictures...but I couldn't resist snapping a shared private moment between you and Em.


For some reason I just love all of their little personalities shining in this next one. 
We took a quick break to hand out some snacks and this was caught when Emily was trying to steal some goods from Lilly.
. Their expressions are adorable! 



Thanks 'C' family for allowing me to capture your moments, and all of the ones 'in between'
I had a terrific 'play date' with you all!

So readers, by now you should all know what to do! 
Leave a comment below to help this family receive a complimentary gift once they reach 20.




17 comments:

Jennifer said...

I ADORE these and would absolutely cherish real-life images of these of my children. I SO wish I lived closer to you....so you could capture my moments!

Anonymous said...

You must have such a blast, when you go and do these, 'play dates' how many people can smile in the morning just cause they have to work today? I think you smile, alot! I love the pic when mom jumped into the leaves, I can't resist a mountain of leaves either, they are just soo awesome. Stacey, as always, your pic's are awesome, and make me smile, everytime!!

Thanks!Love ya, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

As Always beautiful work Stacey!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful pictures... you really captured them perfectly!

Anonymous said...

Love these. Very real life :) They came out great, as always!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!! Beautiful children and pictures!!

catherine said...

What beautiful children!! and pictures too of course!
love cat

Anonymous said...

They are all too cute!! Love the personalities they all have and your pictures really make then shine through!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful kids!! Great pictures too :)

Anonymous said...

I am in love with your work!!! You must have had so much fun with these kiddies!!

Anonymous said...

Too cute!

Anonymous said...

They look like so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

You r work is incredible!!!

Jenna said...

That last picture is hilarious! What a cute family.

Anonymous said...

The eyes on these children are amazing! You really captured their beauty! It must have been so much fun!

Anonymous said...

How long did this session take?! It must have been hysterical working with a 1,2 & 3 year old! haha

Anonymous said...

You are a genius photographer! I wish I have a quarter of your talent Stacey!